Chicago Dog Salad
- 1/4 cup yellow mustard
- 2 tablespoons vinegar, eyeball it
- 1 rounded teaspoon sugar
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 of a 16-ounce sack shredded cabbage blend for slaw salads
- 1 romaine heart, shredded
- 2 vine ripe tomatoes, diced
- 3 large half sour or garlic pickles, chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 8 pork or beef hot dogs, cut into 1-inch-thick slices on an angle
In the bottom of a large bowl, combine mustard, vinegar, sugar, and about 3 tablespoons of vegetable oil. Add the onions, cabbage, romaine, tomatoes, and pickles and toss the salad. Season with salt and pepper, adjust seasonings, and reserve.Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add in remaining 1 tablespoon vegetable oil (1 turn of the pan) then arrange the sliced dogs in a single layer. Sear them a couple of minutes on each side. Remove to paper towels to drain.
Mound up the salad on plates, top with seared dogs, and serve.
-We use whatever pickles we have on hand. We also cut our hot dogs into bite size pieces and just mix them in with it all and then serve.It is even good the next day if there is anything left. The dressing doesn't make the salad soggy which is nice!